Frequency Asked Questions
Most of those questions and answers can be found on various AED website pages that can be accessed using the drop-down menu on the AED home page. We compiled these questions to give site visitors a quick overview on important material.
- What is the Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)?
- How can I donate to AED?
- What are the VIsion, Missions and Goals of AED?
- How is AED organized?
- What can AED do for me?
- How do I become a member?
- How can I find contact information for a member of the AED?
- How do I post on the community?
- Can I post research advertisements?
- How do I get involved with the AED?
- How can AED help me as a person struggling with an eating disorder or educate me about eating disorders?
- How does the AED website help a therapist further advance his/her training?
- How can the AED help me as a researcher?
What is the Academy for Eating Disorders (AED)?
AED consists of a multitude of members from the entire spectrum of health professionals who are personally or professionally involved with individuals with eating disorders.
How can I donate to AED?
You may donate by visiting the "Get Involved" section of this website Get Involved.
The Academy for Eating Disorders is a global professional association committed to leadership in eating disorders research, education, treatment, and prevention.
Global access to knowledge, research and best treatment practice for eating disorders.
1. Generate knowledge and integrate collective expertise about Eating Disorders.
2. Provide platforms for the promotion of understanding, sharing of knowledge, & research-practice integration in the field of Eating Disorders.
3. Build capacity in the next generation of Eating Disorder professionals.
4. Foster innovation & best practice by recognizing excellence in the field of Eating Disorders.
AED's Vision, Mission and Goals can be found .
How is AED organized?
AED is led by a member-elected group of leaders (Executive Officers) and a Board that covers day-to-day business. There is a time-limited tenure for those individuals. View the of AED and an .
There are various committees that work on issues related to AED and the eating disorders field, making proposals that are then approved by the Board and Leadership. This process ensures that the decisions are made based on broad support and in line with general goals.
AED is financed through membership fees and donations. The Finance Committee oversees budgetary and fiscal matters of the AED. It reviews the financial conduct of the AED, advises the Executive Committee on fiscal matters, oversees the implementation of budgetary priorities and assists with the preparation of the annual budget along with advising the Board concerning its approval.
What can AED do for me?
AED is meant to be a platform for health professionals who work in the eating disorders field and other individuals who are personally affected by eating disorders (e.g., family members). This involves teaching, networking, support for finding therapists around the world and discussions with other health professionals.
- AED's main event is the annual International Conference on Eating Disorders, a scientific conference that spans research and education from basic science to the treating clinician and back.
- The ICED also has a teaching day that provides in-depth training for clinicians.
- AED members also have access to various listservs for discussion of a broad range of topics.
- AED has a continuous education (CE) program in which professionals can earn credit toward their licensure requirements.
You can become a member by visiting Membership Information.
How do I post on the community?
To post on the community, log into your account and select AED online community from the menu on the left hand side. Once inside the community, you can go to either your Dashboard or to AED Discussions using the menu across the top of the screen. Here you will find the general discussion forum, a discussion list by topic, as well as recent activity within the community. Use the green dropdown menu to Quick Start a discussion on either the main forum or a topic-specific one.
Can I post research advertisements?
How can AED help me as a person struggling with an eating disorder or educate me about eating disorders?
The AED website provides for any site visitor, including non-members. This helps provide objective information and treatment recommendations.
How can the AED help me as a researcher?
Being a member of the AED helps researchers connect and collaborate with each other and keep abreast of recent developments in eating disorders research. The annual ICED is attended by leading international researchers and includes presentations and discussions on the cutting edge of research in the field. In addition, the AED offers grants to support innovative and cutting edge research in the field of eating disorders. AED also allows researchers to connect with other researchers and professionals in order to recruit participants for their studies by purchasing space on the AED website and announcing the study in its member listserv. A recent initiative was to develop the "Guidelines for Research-Practice Integration in the Field of Eating Disorders," a guidelines aimed at strengthening research-practice integration within its activities and within the field of eating disorders.
- This page maintained by: Electronic Media Committee
- Last Updated: 13 January 2017